All seasonal positions have been filled but we will continue to accept resumes for Guest Services, Jr Keeper and Grounds Keeper.
The Red River Zoo is offering a stellar opportunity for a sharp, self-motivated individual who desires to work for a mission driven non-profit organization in a region of strong economic growth. The successful candidate must have a strong desire to instill and foster a lifelong love for nature and wildlife in people of all ages. We are seeking a highly motivated, high energy, education and interpretive professional who has a strong desire to contribute to the greater good.
The Education Director is a full time exempt position and part of the zoo's senior management team.
Key Responsibilities: Determines the Red River Zoo's educational strategies. Works with all zoo departments to develop curricula and educational materials for outreach and on site education; providing a meaningful educational experience to visitors. Develops and oversees all aspects of the Zoo education program including class room instruction, tours, signage, printed materials and community outreach programs. Supervises seasonal Zoo educator and Junior Zookeeper Program Coordinators.
- Develop, conduct and evaluate all educational programming including but not limited to: school based programs, Zoomobile outreach, family education, and summer camps.
- Assist committees w/ planning exhibits and development of educational signage for the entire facility
- Foster a conservation/education message in all things associated with Red River Zoo including graphics, educational programming, and exhibits
- Recruit/supervise/train/schedule/evaluate the performance of docents. Provide adequate training materials for their education and use
- Maintain a comfortable level of program animal handling experience and have the ability to train educational volunteers how to do the same
- Ensure the safety & well being of all educational animals, their handlers, and the public through education, training and following established procedures
- Assist with educational articles for the member newsletters
- Assist with educational components of special events
- Educational and volunteer record keeping performed in an accurate manner
- Assist with the marketing of educational programming
- Assist with education budget development, implementation, and keep accurate records of all expenses and income in the education dept. generate monthly reports to the Executive Director regarding education numbers, income, expenses, etc.
- Attend AZA conferences and other educational training/conferences as appropriate to remain current on principles, practice and new developments in nature based education.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to supervise, train, schedule, recruit and inspire docents
- Be available and proficient to teach any education program
- Ability to research, develop and deliver quality curriculum, aligned to educational standards
- Knowledge and understanding of best practices in animal husbandry as it related to the educational animal collection
- Ability to exercise safe work habits and demonstrate sound judgment while in the proximity of potentially dangerous situations
- Ability to obtain first aid and CPR training
- Solid computer skills, knowledge of spreadsheets, word processing programs
- Proven skills in scheduling programming, volunteers and record keeping
- Ability to work weekends and evenings as required
- Demonstrates professionalism and maturity at all times
- Bachelors degree in biological science, education, or related fields
- Three years experience in education, informal education, or interpretation
- Valid driver's license
- Experience working with and handling animals
- Knowledge of budget, finance and personnel management including hiring and supervision
- Experience writing quality education programming
- Knowledge of AZA and industry best practices
- Must have a strong work ethic, desire to be a contributing part of a team, and a good sense of humor
To apply, send resume, cover letter including salary requirements, and three professional references to Lisa Tate, Executive Director - email@example.com.
If you prefer to mail a copy, please send to:
Red River Zoo
Attn: Lisa Tate
4255 23rd Ave S
Fargo, ND 58104
Internships are available for motivated persons that have completed at least two years of college coursework, or college graduates seeking on the job experience.
More Information >